Welcome to Year 5
Welcome to Year 5
Our teaching team includes Miss Watkins and Miss Brown (Class Teachers) Mrs Bodley (Associate Teacher with School Centred Initial Teacher Training). We will also be utilising the expertise of Mrs Savin and Mrs Firth.
Our Autumn Term theme is ‘Quests’, inspired by a range of engaging texts that will be used across our school curriculum. Many of the texts we are using include stories full of adventure, journeys, twists and turns from many different walks of life. Our Autumn Bookshelf texts are:
- ‘‘The Iron Man’ by Ted Hughes
- ‘Running on the Roof of the World’ by Jess Butterworth
- ‘Journey’ by Aaron Becker
- ‘The Incredible Ecosystems of Planet Earth’ by Rachel Ignotofsky
- ‘The Story of the Titanic for Children’ by Joe Fuller
Important Information for Year 5:
- This half term we will have PE on a Tuesday and a Wednesday for both classes but try to have your kit in school every day just in case.
- Home Learning is set on a Wednesday and is due on the following Monday. The children will be given a slip outlining the task. Advice, guidance and helpful links will be given on the Home Learning slip but if you require additional information please contact Miss Watkins or Miss Brown.
- The children should also read their Reading and Library books.
- All children have a spelling shed account to practise their weekly and half-termly spellings. Passwords can be found in their home learning books.
- All children have been given TT Rockstars and Prodigy accounts (passwords can be found in their Home Learning books). We encourage the children to continue practising their maths skills to help build their speed and stamina in arithmetic.
Look out for updates on our Twitter feed to follow some of our learning throughout this term @GorseyY5