Welcome to Year 5
Our teaching team includes Miss Brown and Miss Ashworth (Class Teachers) Miss Kenneally (Associate Teacher with School Centred Initial Teacher Training) Mrs Akhtar, Mrs Watts, Mrs Wallwork (Learning Support Assistant). We will also be utilising the expertise of Mrs Savin.
Our Autumn Term theme is ‘Hope’, inspired by a range of engaging texts that will be used across our school curriculum. Many of the texts we are using include stories full of adventure, journeys, twists and turns from many different walks of life but all showing hope can be found even in the darkest times. Our Autumn Bookshelf texts are:
- ‘‘The Iron Man’ by Ted Hughes
- ‘Running on the Roof of the World’ by Jess Butterworth
- ‘A Kind of Spark’ by Elle McNicholl
- ‘Journey’ by Aaron Becker
- ‘The Incredible Ecosystems of Planet Earth’ by Rachel Ignotofsky
- ‘The Story of the Titanic for Children’ by Joe Fuller
Important Information for Year 5:
- This half term we will have PE on a Tuesday and Thursday for both classes; children will come to school in their kit on these days.
- Home Learning is set on a Wednesday and is due on the following Monday. The children will be given a slip outlining the task. Advice, guidance and helpful links will be given on the Home Learning slip but if you require additional information please contact Miss Brown and Miss Ashworth.
- The children should also read their Reading and Library books.
- All children have a spelling shed account to practise their weekly and half-termly spellings. Passwords can be found in their home learning books.
- All children have been given TT Rockstars, Prodigy and ReadTheory accounts (passwords can be found in their Home Learning books). We encourage the children to continue practising their maths and reading skills to help build their speed and stamina in arithmetic and comprehension.
Look out for updates on our Twitter feed to follow some of our learning throughout this term @GorseyY5