Welcome to Year 5 and the Summer Term
Our teaching team includes Miss Watkins and Miss Brown (Class Teachers) Miss Ward (Associate Teacher with School Centred Initial Teacher Training). We will also be utilising the expertise of Mrs Savin.
Summer Term: Identity
Our Summer Term theme is ‘Identity’, inspired by a range of engaging texts that will be used across our school curriculum. Many of the texts we are using include, stories beaming with hope, picture books full of mystery, poetry books and facts from the past that will blow your mind! Our Summer Bookshelf texts are:
• Wonder by R J Palacio
• Hortense and the Shadow by Natalie O’Hara & Lauren O’Hara
• So you think you’ve got it bad? By Chae Strathie
• The Boy at the Back of the Class by Onjali Q. Rauf
• A Kid in my Class by Rachel Rooney
• The Arrival by Shaun Tan
Important Information for Year 5:
• This half term we will have PE on a Tuesday and a Thursday for both classes, please send your child to school wearing their PE kit.
• Home Learning is set on a Wednesday and is due on the following Monday. The children will be given a slip outlining the task. Advice, guidance and helpful links will be given on the Home Learning slip but if you require additional information please contact Miss Watkins or Miss Brown.
• The children should also read their Reading and Library books.
• All children have a spelling shed account to practise their weekly and half-termly spellings. Passwords can be found in their home learning books.
• All children have been given TT Rockstars and Prodigy accounts (passwords can be found in their Home Learning books). We encourage the children to continue practising their maths skills to help build their speed and stamina in arithmetic.
Look out for updates on our Twitter feed to follow some of our learning throughout this term @GorseyY5